The latest polls indicate that 82% of Republicans support Trump and his actions. Now I know a number of Republicans…used to know more before they dropped me due to my occasional forays into being a guest columnist in this paper and liberal essays on my web site. Of the ones I still do associate with we stay far away from politics (and normally any issues related to science.) But my impressions are these are pretty normal run-of-the-mill American citizens. They send their kids to school; go on vacations here and abroad; obey our laws; go to ball games; and appear to love their children, grand-children, wives and friends. But, the polls tell me that 8 out of 10 believe:
- Lying is a virtue, not something to be condemned.
- Abiding by the law only applies to the bourgeoisie and unskilled laborers. The rich can ignore it.
- That it’s perfectly acceptable for males in positions of power to grope females of less stature.
- That science is a scam, not to be believed especially when adversely affecting economic growth.
- It’s better to pay fewer taxes than for their children to breathe clean air or drink clean water.
- A nuclear war will be over quickly and they won’t be adversely affected.
- That more military arms in the possession of an untrained citizenry is a God-given right.
- The National Debt is nothing to worry about.
- Only well-to-do people deserve health care.
- That in some point in human history trickle-down economics really worked.
Now, as I said, we don’t talk politics so I don’t ask them their opinions on these issues. I know most of them are church-goers so I’m curious just what values the churches are teaching their parishioners these days. It sure has me confused.